RIP Robert Rauschenberg

Image
Robert Rauschenberg. Bed. 1955. Combine painting: oil and pencil on pillow, quilt, and sheet on wood supports

One of my favorite artists passed away yesterday night at age 82. I remember sitting in my 20th century art class last year learning about his works and thought process. I sat there completely in awe. His works were so wonderful and spellbounding. He was a true pioneer in found materials and mixed media art working from the serious Abstract Expressionism to the less serious Pop Art and everything in between. Seeing his works in person was truly an experience for me.

Also, one of my most favorite plays of all time was written after his famous style of combines. Bob Rauschenberg America written by Charles Mee followed the hectic mix of different scenes and moments that was seen through Rauschenberg's feverish combination works.

Read his obit in the NYT. Learn about him here, here, and here.

"Being right can stop all the momentum of a very interesting idea.” - Bob

Photo via MoMA

0 Responses to “RIP Robert Rauschenberg”

Post a Comment